Thursday 18 June 2015

From the South Pole Iceberg to the Republic City Portal: A Critical Study of the Avatar Franchise: An Introduction

First things first, hello, and welcome to the blog! I suppose the first thing I should do is explain how this project is going to work.

"From the South Pole Iceberg" is quite a simple project, really, at least in concept. The aim of the project is for me to watch and write an essay on every episode of "Avatar: The Last Airbender" and "Avatar: The Legend of Korra". Sometimes, when I'm dealing with certain multi-part stories, the essays will cover two or more episodes. The essays will be written with the aim of asking "What is this episode about?" and "How does it affect the shape of the series?", instead of asking "Is it a good episode?". Or, to put it another way, they will be analytical criticism, not review-based criticism. That's not to say my thoughts on the show won't show through, however: my opinions do affect the essays a lot.

In terms of length, the essays are, on average, about 1000 words long, although I have written some as short as 700 words, and some as long as 1700 (at the time of writing this, I'm ten episodes into the show). They will be released once a week, every Friday, both here and on my Tumblr blog. The steady posting rate is my way of making sure I stay well ahead, with plenty of posts queued.  If the comment section gets enough responses and debate going, I may start doing "comment response" posts in the middle of the week too.

Final question: Why do this ridiculous project? For one thing, I am a ridiculous man. For another, I love Avatar. I think it's a brilliant series. This is my way of sharing that love with other people. I hope that that, if nothing else, comes across in these posts. 

No comments:

Post a Comment